TNF Preview: Can Vegas Improve Their Playoff Chances Tonight In Week 15?
Chargers | Raiders - 5:20pm PST
Football bettors all over the world are still catching their breath from the INSANE ending on Monday Night Football. When the heck was the last time a game ended with a SAFETY???!!! I have heard it said that being a sports bettor is like being a cornerback in the NFL, you must have a short memory!
The Los Angeles Chargers (4-9) are coming off a win over the Atlanta Falcons. The Chargers are making the short trip to Las Vegas to take on the Raiders (7-6). The Raiders are currently fighting for their playoff lives, while the Chargers have officially been eliminated from postseason contention.
The Las Vegas Raiders are currently being priced as a (-3.5) point favorite in this contest, and the Over-Under point total has been set at 52.5. What side should you invest your hard-earned cash in with this Thursday Night matchup? Keep reading to see an argument for both teams below.
The Case for the Chargers: How interested are they in playing Spoiler?
The rumor mill keeps on-a-churning about Chargers Head Coach Anthony Lynn’s future with the franchise. Will he be fired or given one more season? No one really knows and Lynn comparing the Chargers struggles of this season to Pearl Harbor probably did NOT help his chances.
Nevertheless, the Chargers will have to set all those distractions aside on Thursday Night. Even with their playoff hopes dashed, Los Angeles can still play the role of spoiler tonight against the Raiders.
Here are some reasons why investing in the Chargers and the plus points could be a good idea:
- Call me old-fashioned if you must but I still have a soft spot in my heart for taking underdogs in a divisional game. This obviously meets that criteria.
- The underdog in this matchup is a robust 17-6 against the spread over the past 23 meetings.
- The Raiders will be without star rookie WR Henry Ruggs, who was added to the Covid-19 list earlier this week. This will limit Vegas’s ability to stretch the field.
- The Chargers offense is formidable, especially their passing attack. They rank 4th in the NFL in passing yards per game and Justin Herbert has had an outstanding rookie seasons throwing 25 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions.
The Case for the Raiiiiidezzzs (said in Chris Berman voice): Does the must-win situation pay off for Raider investors?
It is no secret that the Raiders are in “must-win” mode after getting waxed by 87-year-old (I kid…I kid) Philip Rivers and the Indianapolis Colts last week. This devastating loss caused the Raiders’ playoff chances to plummet to just over 20% now. A win tonight would no doubt go a long way towards boosting those chances to back over 50%.
Here are some reasons to consider investing in the Raiders tonight:
- As we mentioned before, the Raiders are in “must-win” mode. Their focus level should be at an all-time high to get a victory tonight to keep their playoff hopes intact.
- Las Vegas has won 6 straight games against the spread versus AFC West opponents
- The Raiders just beat this same Charger team by 5 points on the road back in early November.
- QB Derek Carr is having a phenomenal season. He has thrown 24 touchdowns and only 7 interceptions so far this season.
Game Theory FREE Play: UNDER 53 Points (sent out on Tuesday)
Article Contributor: Mike Noblin
Youtube: Mikey Nobs